5 Quick and Easy Meals
Eating healthy every day can be just as easy as eating junk food every day. Of course, junk food often comes ready to eat while healthy but quick dinner meals require a few more minutes of one’s day. However, when one takes into consideration how much more long lasting energy a home cooked meal delivers as opposed to the quick bursts of short term energy followed by lethargy that junk/fast food offers, a few minutes in the kitchen is worth it.
Here are five quick easy meals that promise to take about 30 minutes to make. These meals are both comforting and packed full of nutrition. No need for special chef skills or a costly trip to the market for these recipes either. These are made with busy moms and swamped singles in mind.
BREADED CHICKEN TENDERS
1lb chicken tenders or breast cut into chunks
1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
1 cup vegetable oil
1. Set up an assembly line with one plate full of bread crumbs, one small mixing bowl with the three beaten eggs and a pan of hot oil. It is also a good idea to have a plate with a paper towel placed on it to set the fried chicken fillets.
2. Dip the chicken fillets into the beaten eggs, then into the bread crumbs and then into the hot oil and fry until golden brown
3. Be sure to fully coat the fillets in the egg and also in the bread crumbs
4. Pair these chicken fillets with either a steamed green vegetable or a microwave baked potato.
• This is a much healthier alternative to traditionally fried chicken because there is no lard or flour. The egg and bread crumbs are significantly lower in fat and cholesterol than are flour and lard.
HOME MADE MACARONI AND CHEESE
Just because it has cheese, and lots of it, it doesn’t mean it is unhealthy. Real cheese, which this recipe calls for, is a great source of protein and calcium.
1 lb. macaroni
4 cups cheddar cheese
2 cups gruyère cheese (romano can be used as substitute)
½ cup butter
½ cup milk
1. Add macaroni to boiling water. It is not necessary to cook the macaroni completely since it will cook more in the oven.
2. Set oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Drain pasta and pour it into a casserole dish.
4. Add butter to pasta and let it melt. Mix the butter thoroughly throughout pasta.
5. Cover the pasta with slices of cheese. Alternate the layers of pasta and cheese mixture and place the dish in oven.
6. Bake for 20 minutes and then check. The cheese should be bubbling and starting to brown.
7. Allow to cool for about ten minutes before serving.
BROCCOLI & CHEESE QUICHE
1 cup broccoli
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
½ cup cheddar cheese to be kept separate from the other 1 cup cheddar cheese
1 store bought raw pie crust
1. Set oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Beat eggs and milk
3. Add broccoli and the 1 cup of cheddar cheese to this mix
4. Pour this mixture into the pie crust
5. Top with the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and bake for 35 minutes
CORN CHOWDER SOUP
1 tablespoon butter
3 ½ cups milk
6 slices cooked bacon (optional)
½ cup chopped onion
5-6 chopped carrots
5-6 chopped celery stalks
1 bag frozen corn
1-2 chopped potatoes
¼ red bell peppers
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
Add all of the above ingredients to a sauté pan and cook together for 4-5 minutes. Then, add this mixture to a large pot and add the following ingredients:
2 cups water
2 cans un-drained cream corn
2 cups cream
Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a low flame. Allow the soup to cook for 20 minutes. Sample either the carrot or the potato to be sure they are fully cooked. If these harder vegetables are fully cooked, turn off flame and keep covered. The longer the soup steeps, the more flavorful it will be.
1lb favorite pasta
1 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
1lb frozen peas
½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground pepper
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook the pasta thoroughly and drain.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add all the other ingredients and stir thoroughly.
3. This pasta salad is wonderful either served cold on a hot summer day or as a warm evening dish.
As one can see, quick easy meals do not require a lot of time in the kitchen or costly ingredients. These quick dinner meals will also serve up well as leftovers throughout the week. Treat the family to delicious home cooked meals and leave the junk food in the trash.
John Grant is a blogger for various food sites and travels Asia looking for great recipes and quick dinner ideas.