Want to be a big hit at your next picnic or barbeque? An easy way to do this is to make your own hamburger, hotdog, or sandwich buns. It’s easy to do and taste SO MUCH better than those you buy at the store.
The Prepared Pantry’s Salted Water Roll Mix makes incredible burger and hotdog buns. To add an extra special touch the packet comes complete with the black and white sesame seeds plus the healthier Pink Himalayan Salt.
Here are the directions right from the Prepared Pantry’s web site.
1. Mix the bread according to the package directions or recipe. If you are using your bread machine, set the machine on the “dough” setting so that the machine will mix your bread for you, let it rise and then beep when it is time to bake.
If you are making bread the old-fashioned way, follow the directions and let the bread rise in an oiled bowl as you would for other bread mixes or recipes.
If you are using the Salted Water Roll Mix, you can skip the first rise step and immediately form your rolls and place them on the pan.
2. Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. If you are using a two-loaf mix or recipe, divide the dough into 16 pieces.
3. Form a round or oval roll with each piece. Place them on a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with room to expand. With the flat of your hand, flatten each roll. The elasticity in the dough will tend to make the rolls spring back. Let the dough relax for a few minutes and press a second time.
4. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap or a proofing bag and let rise until doubled—45 minutes to an hour or so depending on the mix and the room temperature. Salted Water Rolls will not get as puffy as most mixes or recipes.
5. If you put seeds or seeds and salt on your rolls, whisk with a fork one egg with one tablespoon of water. Just before baking, brush the tops and sides with the wash and then sprinkle with seeds. The wash will keep the seeds in place.
6. Bake the rolls at 350 degrees for about fifteen minutes or until done. Immediately remove them to a wire rack to cool. Serve them fresh. Day old rolls are not nearly as good.
Get a free copy of How to Bake: The Art and Science of Baking. It’s a great reference book with great recipes and 318 pages. Choose PDF, Kindle, Nook, or I-Pad.